RichardDawkins.net

Monday, May 16, 2011

Difference

This one is for my generation.


I recently graduated from college, and have found the pressure overwhelming. What pressure you ask? As most would assume, the normal pressures of leaping from the nest into the world are at play. But I'm starting to feel, and I hope I'm not alone in this, that the pressures we face today as the next leaders of the world are much bigger and heavier than those of our parents. Even as little as 40, 50, 60 years ago, the world was not as connected as it is today. We are in the age of information and technology, and as the web of information grows bigger, the more aware we become. We are constantly bombarded, and our focus can shift from continent to continent at a moments notice. With all of this technology, most of it really becoming influential in the past 15 years, we are now aware of so many things, for example, how much damage has been done to our planet, the fact that there is an AIDS and HIV epidemic in Africa, that slave labor is rampant in Asia, etc. For most of our parents, they saw themselves as leaders of America, leaders of their small little sections, leaders of their families and ancestors. But for us, I feel, we are to be leaders of the world. I cannot live under a rock anymore, I have no choice. Our planet is in severe jeopardy, in many different ways, and the smarter and more advanced we get, the more responsibility there is. As said by Francis Bacon, "Knowledge is power", but as Stan Lee says, "With great power, comes great responsibility". This is the pressure I feel, even just as a mere recent college graduate, with a degree in Psych that really can't take me anywhere far, I feel the pressure to do my part in this world, and help it, whatever that help may be. Hopefully I made some sense in this little paragraph, and hopefully I'm not alone.

As always, I welcome discussion, and have made it so people can post anonymously below and can also comment without having an account. Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment